Wednesday, April 28, 2010

An Open Letter to Conservatives

Last month, one of my more liberal friends named Kate posted on Twitter a link to a page on the website Talking Points Memo called "An Open Letter to Conservatives." It was a lengthy and exhaustive critique of what the conservative movement -- and more specifically, the modern incarnation of the Republican Party -- has become.

It's a fascinating read that encapsulates my opinions regarding modern conservatism and how it relates to the current political climate far better than I could ever articulate. I agree with many of the points -- as anyone who reads this page might notice -- so rather than reiterate them on my own page, I'll post the link and let others read it on their own.

You can read the piece here.

Even though I am admittedly quite liberal, America functions best when there is more than one viable, relevant political party. Given the recent attitudes of the Republican Party, and the conservative movement as a whole, that is not the case -- and both our political discourse and the pursuit of fixing this nation's problems are suffering.

Here's hoping someone with some pull within the GOP sees this piece and those on the other side of the aisle start acting accordingly. I think all Americans would be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment